Enjoying High School During a Pandemic

Photo Courtesy of Forbes

Kiarra Mason

Wondering how high school goes in the midst of a pandemic?  COVID 19 struck the U.S. the hardest around March 2020. Life inside a high school has not been the same during this difficult time. Many high school students, including myself,  have had a hard time getting used to all the changes around the school. Getting back into the swing of things after an  almost 6 month break has not been the easiest, but I am here to tell you everything you need to enjoy high school during a pandemic.

There are a lot of ways that you can keep yourself and others around you safe, which will lead to a happy and healthy year at school. Something you can do personally is go out and get some hand sanitizers to keep in your backpack, car, lunchbox, etc., to use before school, during school and after. This will prevent you from worrying about germs and it will help you be more at ease. Another thing that would benefit you would be to make sure that you have extra face masks. You can get different masks that have cool designs to fit your liking and make you excited to wear. This is also another thing you can keep in your backpack and car so you are always prepared to enter the building safely. 

Timberlane has done many things to help out students and staff throughout the building to keep us in check. There are many hand sanitizer stations in the hallways for anybody who needs it. There are also one way hallways and within these hallways there are arrows telling you which way to go in case you get confused. Some people might become unhappy with this if you have a class really far away and you have to go the longest way but just try to remember that it is a privilege to be in school at all and the staff is doing the best they can for us! In class, desks are spaced out to keep us safe but we are also still close enough to where we can socialize and make friends. Something that I was happy to hear was that Seniors still get the privilege of sitting outside in the courtyard for lunch where you can meet up with friends and eat together, socially distanced of course. It is nice that we are able to get some fresh air and get a little break while other schools might not get this. 

High school sports during the pandemic also may be hard for some people especially people who have medical issues such as asthma. Players are required to wear masks during practices unless you are scrimmaging or such. This does get hard because it gets hard to breathe, but it is better than becoming sick or spreading germs to others around you. Hand sanitizers and wipes for balls are provided and used during practices to keep us safe. It is smart to remember that not every school is having sports right now, and it could be taken away at any moment. We have to enjoy the time we can to do what we love because you never know when it might be gone. 

There are many ways to enjoy high school during a pandemic despite how hard it might be. This is a very serious issue and as long as you follow the rules and stay positive because the rules are only benefiting us you will get through this without a doubt. Remember to stay thankful for being able to be in school and play sports while others all around us are not. Stay happy and healthy everyone and use this to help you enjoy high school during this time.