How To Know What College Is Right For You?

Photo Courtesy of Amazon

Photo Courtesy of Amazon

Delaney Condon

The college process can be very difficult to manage through. It is a tough decision to make as a high school senior trying to figure out where you would like to go further your education after you graduate. As we are all getting our acceptance letters in the mail and the decision day is coming quickly around the corner, it’s time to start making a decision. Here is a list of things in no particular order that you should think about while making a decision. 

Major

There are a lot of factors that go into making the right choice. First of all, the school has to have what you are interested in. Why apply or attend  a school if they do not have your major? Research the program you are interested in, look for the graduation rate and the reputation of the school and how good it is.

If you are unsure on what you would like to study, look into how the school will support you and guide you to find what you are interested in. Some schools may have a program where when you come in undeclared and they will assign you classes to explore and place you on a track to find a major that is right for you. 

Financials 

As you start to open your  acceptances, there will be a financial package to go along with it. College is expensive between tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, personal expenses, and transportation. A public college can average out to be $20,000- $30,000  when private school can average to $60,000.

In this financial package each college can give out academic merit and various scholarships to not only bring down the cost of attending but to also reward you for all the academic achievements. How much money you receive could be a big part because on average 65% come out of college with student debt. You want to set up yourself for success in the long run.

Visit 

The most effective way to see if you like the school is to visit yourself. You can take admission  tours and when you get accepted you can get invited to admitted student events and over nights. This allows students to ask questions, meet other prospective students and understand the college on a deeper level. How you feel about schools once you visit in person may affect the direction and type of school you want to attend.

When you go to these events you should determine what kind of school you want. Big school? Small school? Enclosed or more spread out? You also want to think you can see yourself there and see if you would be happy on campus. College should be the most exciting year so you want to make sure you can enjoy where you are.  

Although it is a big decision and may seem there is a lot of pressure riding on it, however you know what is best for you. There is no wrong decision when choosing a college, when you know it will feel right and you will feel a sense of relief.