How to Get Through Senior Year Doing the Bare Minimum

Nick Kellan

Every senior wants their last year in high school to be memorable. This is a year that most seniors do just about everything except for schoolwork. Seniors tend to slack off in some, if not, all of their classes. This is typically a result of arriving to class late, procrastinating assignments, or losing concentration in class. Many seniors’ time is being sucked up by extracurriculars and college applications, but through all of this, every graduating class finds a way to make it out, with their heads above the water. 

A couple methods are used by the master procrastinators in order to survive the year. One of these methods is to establish a friendly relationship with teachers. Seniors often find themself under tremendous amounts of stress due to college and extracurriculars, which leads to late submission of assignments. If a teacher knows that student personally, they are more likely to be understanding of the cause of the lateness. When the student is given the benefit of the doubt, their grade will stay afloat. This is not by any means taking advantage of anyone. It is simply being on good terms with another human being, who also happens to have control of a student’s graduation chances. 

Deadlines are the last thing students want to think about, but there must be some time frame for assignments to be turned in. One way to do this is by turning in everything for the week before the weekend. Students know when they will not do something on time. Getting it in by the end of the week gives the teacher a chance to give credit. 

Class of 2021 Timberlane graduate Cam Noyes, known for doing next to nothing productive in class, has his theories on senior year. Noyes states, “People think this stuff is hard, as long as you got a 60 you straight homie.” Noyes follows this up with, “you’ve (seniors) had to do so much work the past three years, as long as you’re somewhat paying attention this year, you’ll be more than fine”. Technically, a 60% final grade in a class is the requirement to pass. Hypothetically, a student would only need to correctly complete just over half, or 60%, of the work given in a class to pass it. This is likely the reasoning for Noyes’s strategy. If the plan is to barely skate by, a 60% is the target.