Best Buddies

Kaitlyn Cullen

Best Buddies is a very popular organization throughout a lot of schools and places. It allows people living with intellectual and developmental disabilities to be able to do fun activities, and communicate with students that sign up to be a part of the club. A lot of different activities take place including movie nights, dance parties, outside games and many more. Participating in Best Buddies gives both students with disabilities and students who do not, the chance to make friendships and to have fun with each other. This is a year round organization with activities and socials held about once a month. Meetings are also held about once every two weeks to go over upcoming events.

Here in the Timberlane School District, Best Buddies is known to be a very eventful and fun club. Recent events that were well attended consisted of an ice cream social hosted in September and movie nights. The next event happening is Trunk Or Treat. Trunk Or Treat is hosted at the end of October and allows everyone in the program to set up their cars in the school parking lot and the members of the group can decorate the cars however they want and can buy all different types of candy for people. You get to dress in your favorite halloween costume and once everyone is set up and ready you can go around to all the cars and go trick or treating. This event is a big hit for Best Buddies. It is open to the public for other children to attend if they want. There are many more upcoming activities, especially around Christmas time to really get in the holiday mood.

Best Buddies participation was a little different last year due to covid and a lot of their socials had to be on zoom, but they were still able to make it work. Movie nights were held where everyone who joined the zoom could watch the movie at the same time. This year they are very lucky to be coming in contact with each other and be able to do in person activities which are a lot more fun and less stressful. The instagram page @timberlane.bestbuddies keeps everyone up to date on upcoming events and what is going on in their program.

Taylor Dionne, the secretary of Best Buddies says, “Best Buddies is easily the most rewarding organization I have ever been in. The feeling of inclusivity spreads throughout the school is amazing, and it’s truly inspiring seeing how intelligent and strong the students we work with are.” It is amazing that we have this program for anyone to be a part of and that this isn’t just a program that is in schools, but all over the world.