College Facebook Page – Introducing yourself

Averie Bowman

If you have not already, go join your college’s class of 2025 facebook page. You can do so by searching on facebook your school followed by “class of 2025”. These are private pages used to get to know your peers attending the same college or university as yourself. Here you can make new friends and find a roommate before the fall semester. 

Incoming freshmen make posts usually consisting of, where you’re from, your major, and what your hobbies are. Most people also include their social media accounts and a series of pictures of themselves. This is all helpful information when it comes to meeting new people, however often the posts just blend together. The majority of the posts state the same generic things.

When writing a post avoid saying phrases like, “I love a night out but also don’t mind a night in”. This is because nearly everyone writes that, and you should be more specific. In your post include information that will separate you from the rest. You want to emphasize your personality in your writing and portray your true self. If your post is just like everyone else’s then it will be harder to find people who actually share the same interests as yourself. 

Dig deeper into what you really are like a person and describe yourself more than just what sports you play. It might help to pretend as if you are in someone else’s shoes trying to describe yourself. What would they say about you?

Avoid making up a vision of who you wish you were; stay true to yourself. If you want to go to the gym more often but can’t find the motivation, rather than saying, “I enjoy going to the gym”, try a more honest approach instead. Maybe say, “I am looking for a gym buddy to keep me motivated.” This will help your peers get to know you more on a personal level. 

Senior at TRHS, Rachel Vaugn, finds these “college facebook pages very convenient. You can meet tons of new people with the same interests and I really like using it to connect with many people across the U.S.”. Frankie Cornelius, freshmen at Auburn University, says, “The facebook pages weren’t helpful to me, it was better to meet people once I got here. A lot of the people you meet on those pages, you never actually hang out with on campus.” These are two very different opinions from an incoming college freshman and a current college student. However, both are examples of the different uses and interpretations of these pages. Everyone will have a different experience. 

Take advantage of these pages and reach out to new people that you find interesting. The goal of these pages is to make students feel more comfortable coming to campus. Although in the end you may not connect with everyone, it is important to put yourself out there.