Welcome Ms. Ciccarello to TRHS

Lauren Oliver

In July 2020, Timberlane added a new member to their Chorus staff, Ms. Ciccarello, who is our new Chorus Director and music teacher. Ms. Ciccarello has lived in NH since 2011 and studied at Keene State College where she received her undergraduate and Bachelors of Vocal Performance in 2015. She then went on to the Boston Conservatory at Berklee from 2015- 2017 and got her masters in Vocal Pedagogy. Before joining the TRHS staff, she worked at a Private Charter school in Manchester called The Founders Academy.

Her overall goal is to figure out how to still make music in a meaningful way even if we cannot have a concert this year. She wants to help kids understand creative expression in musicality and develop music skills. She wants the students to find ways to access emotions, thoughts, and feelings that words cannot. Ms. C explains, “Something that is unique about teaching is that you can’t just dip your toe in the water, you have to jump in the pool and go for it”.

Ciccarello began her musical journey in Kindergarten when her music teacher saw something in her and sent home a report card that said she believed she should be put in music lessons. She loved going to musicals once a summer with her parents. 

“To me being in the spotlight is not as fulfilling as helping someone else get to the spotlight.” Ms. Ciccarello realized she wanted to be a teacher when she had an internship working with Middle/ High School students for a Community Theater Program. “It’s The ‘aha’ moment that really is the thing that makes me feel the most fulfilled as a teacher”. 

Ms. C enjoys listening to musical theater and the Broadway performer, Kelly O’hara, however she does have a guilty pleasure of singing along to Lizzo. She loves Community Theater because of the excitement everyone brings. Along with singing, she has played piano since the age of five and dabbles in the ukulele. In her free time, she likes to unwind by taking her dog, Stella, on walks, and listening to podcasts about history.

So far, Ms. Ciccarello is really enjoying her job at Timberlane. “Everybody here has been so, so welcoming and my colleagues are super supportive”. She thanks colleagues Mr. Finch and Mrs. Howard for their helpful guidance of showing her the ropes around the school and music department. Students as well are taking a liking to her and enjoy her funny lighthearted personality. “She stepped into the position like she’s been teaching here for five years and she’s very personable,” says Senior choir member Tayler Aprile.

Of course, though, it is always a crazy experience to start in a new school but her views are very positive and she is really excited for the school year. Ciccarello excitedly says,  “It’s a crazy time but it’s the best people to be surrounded by for this crazy time”.